Fundamentals of Cognitive Neuroscience is a comprehensive and easy-to-follow guide to cognitive neuroscience. Winner of a 2013 Most Promising New Textbook Award from the Text and Academic Authors Association, this book was written by two leading experts in the field to be highly accessible to undergraduates with limited neuroscience training. It covers all aspects of the field—the neural framework, sight, sound, consciousness, learning/memory, problem solving, speech, executive control, emotions, socialization and development—in a student-friendly format with extensive pedagogy and ancillaries to aid both the student and professor.
This introductory text takes a unique thematic approach, guiding students along a clear path to understand the latest findings whether or not they have a background in neuroscience. It includes case studies and everyday examples designed to help students understand the more challenging aspects of the material. It is richly illustrated with carefully selected color graphics to enhance understanding. Enhanced pedagogy highlights key concepts for the student and aids in teaching. Chapter outlines, study questions, glossary, and image collection are also available on the student's companion website. Ancillary support saves instructors time and facilitates learning; test questions, image collection, and lecture slides are available on the instructor's manual website.
This book will be of interest to undergraduate students in Neuroscience, Psychology, and related disciplines that teach cognitive neuroscience.
- Provides a complete introduction to mind-brain science, written to be highly accessible to undergraduates with limited neuroscience training
- Richly illustrated with carefully selected color graphics to enhance understanding
- Enhanced pedagogy highlights key concepts for the student and aids in teaching - chapter outlines, study questions, glossary, and image collection are also available on student's companion website
- Ancillary support saves instructors time and facilitates learning - test questions, image collection, and lecture slides available on instructor's manual website
Table of Contents
- Mind and Brain
- A Useful Framework
- The Nerve Cell
- The Brain
- Brain Imaging
- The Art of Seeing
- Sound, Speech, and Music Perception
- The Brain Is Conscious
- Learning and Memory
- Decisions, Goals, and Actions
- Social Cognition
- Growing Up