Showing how the different types of knowledge affect nursing theory, Knowledge Development in Nursing: Theory and Process, 9th Edition helps you understand nursing theory and its links with nursing research and practice. It examines the principles of knowledge development, including the relationship between patterns of knowing, and explores how evidence-based nursing theory can be used to improve patient care. Written by nursing educators Peggy Chinn and Maeona Kramer, this edition is updated with the latest advances in theory development and additional examples of how nursing theory applies to clinical practice.
- Discussion of Patterns of Knowing includes empiric, personal, aesthetic, ethical, and emancipatory knowledge, defining the five different types of knowledge and how they relate to each other.
- Full-color map in the front of the book enhances your understanding with a visual representation of how the patterns of knowing are related.
- Discussion of evidence-based practice provides examples of how the five patterns of knowing may be applied to nursing practice.
- A comprehensive discussion of theory, theory development, and the relationship of theory to nursing research and practice helps you learn to apply theory to practice.
- Think About It questions sharpen your understanding of the emancipatory knowing process of praxis — critical reflection and action that transforms experience.
- Interpretive summaries highlight the essential features of major theories, making conceptual frameworks easier to learn and remember.
- A glossary defines the key terms and concepts of nursing theory.
- An Evolve companion website includes more case studies, a Pattern of Knowing animation, and additional learning resources.
Table of Contents
Tentative Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Nursing’s Fundamental Patterns of Knowing
Chapter 2: Nursing’s Knowledge Development Pathways
Chapter 3: Emancipatory Knowledge: Knowing for Praxis
Chapter 4: Ethical Knowledge Development
Chapter 5: Personal Knowing
Chapter 6: Aesthetic Knowledge Development
Chapter 7: Empiric Knowledge Development: Explaining and Structuring
Chapter 8: Description and Critical Reflection of Empiric theory
Chapter 9: Confirming and Validating Empiric Knowledge Using Research
Chapter 10: Confirming and Validating Empiric Knowledge in Practice