This convenient Handbook will be invaluable when starting out on your pre-registration nursing course. Covering a broad range of topics, from helping you to understand what tutors and mentors expect from you, how to plan your work, and coping with stress, it will support you across all aspects of student life.
This book will help students to:
- Write assignments
- Cope with stress
- Make the most of clinical placements
- Reflect on practice
- Understand nursing models, theories and philosophies
- Understand medical terminology and nursing jargon
- Deal with legal and ethical issues.
- Fully updated in line with changes in nursing practice e.g. the revised NMC Code of Professional Conduct, the Disability Discrimination Act, Agenda for Change and the Knowledge and Skills Framework, Essence of Care.
- Expanded section on nursing models
- More help with drug dosage calculations to assist students in developing their numeric skills.
- More on help on writing assignments and how to use research, including applications to practice
- Expanded appendices on children’s nursing and mental health branches.
- Template forms to assist with course applications, planning assignments and a check list for placements
Table of Contents
Becoming and being a nurse. Nursing models. Academic work. Clinical placements. Basics of nursing. Tools of the trade. Cracking the code.. Safe and accurate administration of medicines. Reading and understanding research. Reflective practice and portfolios. Legal issues for students.. Final thoughts. Useful books. Appendices