Awarded first place in the 2017 AJN Book of the Year Awards in the Nursing Research category. Master the research methods used as a foundation for evidence-based practice! Burns and Grove’s The Practice of Nursing Research, 8th Edition provides a solid foundation in the appraisal, synthesis, and generation of research evidence for clinical nursing practice. Not only will you learn how to properly evaluate and use existing research evidence, but you’ll also learn how to participate in research and quality improvement projects. Updated to reflect today’s focus on online research and evidence-based practice, this edition includes clear, step-by-step guidelines to research procedures as well as many examples from current and classic literature. From an expert author team led by Jennifer Gray, this book helps you perform scholarly research for evidence-based practice.
- Emphasis on evidence-based practice helps you learn to generate research evidence and to appraise and synthesize existing research for application to clinical practice.
- Emphasis on qualitative research includes phenomenological research, grounded theory research, ethnographic research, exploratory-descriptive research, and historical research.
- Coverage of quantitative, qualitative, and other research methodologies gives you a solid foundation to conduct, appraise, and apply research evidence to the realities of today’s clinical practice.
- Rich examples from the nursing literature bring research principles to life.
- Information on collecting digital data guides you through the use of online research.
- Clear, comprehensive coverage is organized into five units: 1) Introduction to Nursing Research, 2) The Research Process, 3) Putting It All Together for Evidence-Based Health Care, 4) Analyzing Data, Determining Outcomes, and Disseminating Research, and 5) Proposing and Seeking Funding for Research.
- NEW Mixed Methods Research chapter and emphasis covers this increasingly popular approach to research.
- NEW! Expanded emphasis on qualitative research provides more balanced coverage of qualitative and quantitative methods, addressing the qualitative research methodologies that are often the starting point of research projects, particularly in magnet hospitals and DNP programs.
- ENHANCED emphasis on evidence-based practice addresses this key graduate-level QSEN competency.
- UPDATED emphasis on the most currently used research methodologies focuses on the methods used in both quantitative research and qualitative research, as well as outcomes research and mixed methods research.
- NEW! Quick-reference summaries are located inside the book's covers, including a table of research methods on the inside front cover and a list of types of research syntheses (with definitions) inside the back cover.
- NEW student resources on the Evolve companion website include 400 interactive review questions along with a library of 10 Elsevier research articles.
- NEW! Colorful design highlights key information such as tables and research examples
Table of Contents
UNIT ONE Introduction to Nursing Research
1 Discovering the World of Nursing Research 2 Evolution of Research in Building Evidence-Based Nursing Practice 3 Introduction to Quantitative Research 4 Introduction to Qualitative Research
UNIT TWO The Research Process
5 Research Problem and Purpose 6 Objectives, Questions, Variables, and Hypotheses 7 Review of Relevant Literature 8 Frameworks 9 Ethics in Research 10 Quantitative Methodology: Noninterventional Designs and Methods 11 Quantitative Methodology: Interventional Designs and Methods 12 Qualitative Research Methods 13 Outcomes Research 14 Mixed Methods Research 15 Sampling 16 Measurement Concepts 17 Measurement Methods Used in Developing Evidence-Based Practice
UNIT THREE Putting It All Together for Evidence-Based Health Care
18 Critical Appraisal of Nursing Studies 19 Evidence Synthesis and Strategies for Implementing Evidence-Based Practice
UNIT FOUR Collecting and Analyzing Data, Determining Outcomes, and Disseminating Research
20 Collecting and Managing Data 21 Introduction to Statistical Analysis 22 Using Statistics to Describe Variables 23 Using Statistics to Examine Relationships 24 Using Statistics to Predict 25 Using Statistics to Determine Differences 26 Interpreting Research Outcomes 27 Disseminating Research Findings
UNIT FIVE Proposing and Seeking Funding for Research
28 Writing Research Proposals 29 Seeking Funding for Research
Appendix A. z Values Table Appendix B. Critical Values for Student’s Distribution Appendix C. Critical Values of r for Pearson Product Moment Correlation Coefficient Appendix D. Critical Values of f for α = 0.05 and α = 0.01 Appendix E. Critical Values of the χ2 Distribution