Successfully review sleep medicine whether you plan to improve your sleep medicine competency skills or prepare for the Sleep Medicine Certification Exam with this expanded review-and-test workbook that includes more than 1,400 interactive questions and answers. Now in full color throughout, Review of Sleep Medicine, 4th Edition, by Dr. Alon Y. Avidan, features a new, high-yield format designed to help you make the most of your study time, using figures, polysomnography tracings, EEG illustrations, sleep actigraphy and sleep diaries, tables, algorithms, and key points to explain challenging topics.
- Includes concise summaries of all aspects of sleep medicine clinical summaries from epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical features, diagnostic techniques, treatment strategies and prognostic implications.
- Provides a library of assessment questions with comprehensive explanations to help you identify the reasoning behind each answer and think logically about the problems.
- Offers the expertise of a multidisciplinary global team of experts including sleep researchers, multispecialty sleep clinicians, and educators. The unique strength of this educational resource is its inclusion of all sleep subspecialties from neurology to pulmonary medicine, psychiatry, internal medicine, clinical psychology, and Registered Polysomnographic Technologists.
- Perfect for sleep medicine practitioners, sleep medicine fellows and trainees, allied health professionals, nurse practitioners, sleep technologists, and other health care providers as review tool, quick reference manual, and day-to-day resource on key topics in sleep medicine.
- Provides a highly effective review with a newly condensed, outline format that utilizes full-color tables, figures, diagrams, and charts to facilitate quick recall of information.
- Includes new and emerging data on the function and theories for why we sleep, quality assessment in sleep medicine, and benefits and risks of sleep-inducing medications.
- Contains new chapters on sleep stage scoring, sleep phylogenic evolution and ontogeny, geriatric sleep disorders and quality measures in sleep medicine.
Table of Contents
Section I: Sleep Medicine Exam Preparation
1. First Aid and Preparation Techniques: Sleep for Boards
Section II: Highlights of Normal Sleep
2. Sleep Phylogenic Evolution and Ontogeny
3. Normal Human Sleep Wake Patterns
4. Highlights of Sleep Neuroscience
5. Normal Sleep Physiology (Including Respiratory and Cardiac Physiology)
6. Genetics in Sleep Medicine
7. Introduction to Evaluation Tools Used in Sleep Medicine
8. An Overview of Polysomnography
9. Sleep Stage Scoring
Section III: Synopsis of Sleep Disorders
10. Sleep Deprivation
11. The Insomnias
12. Central Nervous System Hypersomnia
13. Sleep-Related Breathing Disorders: Clinical Features and Evaluation
14. Sleep Related Breathing Disorders: Treatment of Sleep-Disordered Breathing
15. Circadian Rhythm Disorders
16. Diagnosis and Treatment of ParasomniasParasomnias
17. Sleep-Related Movement Disorders
18. Overview of Electrocephalography and Epilepsy
19. Sleep and Neurological Disorders
20. Sleep and Psychiatric Disorders
21. Sleep and Medical Disorders
22. Overview of Pediatric Sleep Medicine
23. Synopsis of Geriatric Sleep Disorders
24. Knowledge of Cardiac Rhythms in Polysomnography
25. Pharmacotherapy of Hypnotics
26. Medication Effects on Sleep
27. Overview of Sleep Practive Parameters
Section IV: Testing Knowledge in Sleep Medicine: Practice Exams
28. Mechanism and Disorders of Circadian Physiology
29. Tools in Clinical Sleep Medicine
30. Pediatric Sleep Medicine (Pulmonary, Neurology/Psych Genetic Disorders)
31. Cardiology in Sleep Medicine
32. Pulmonary Sleep Clinical Case Studies
33. Psychiatry Clinical Case Studies
34. Insomnia Clinical Pearls
35. Neurology in Sleep Medicine: Polysomnography Case Based Assessment
36. Hypersomnia Case Studies
37. Clinical Cases: Circadian Rhythm Sleep-Wake Disorders
38. REM and Non-REM Parasomnias
39. Seizures and Sleep
40. Motor Disorders of Sleep
41. Sleep and Medical Disorders, and Special Populations
42. Pharmacology Mechanisms
43. Polysomnography Pearls
44. Sleep Stage Scoring
46. The Use of Statistics in Sleep Medicine—Exam Questions
47. Knowing your Sleep Practice Parameters
48. Quality Measures in Sleep Medicine
49. Normal Sleep Patterns
50. Mechanisms of Sleep Neuroscience
- Statistics in Medicine
- Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Statistics for Clinical Trials and Audit
- Horne-Östberg Morningness-Eveningness Questionnaire