Why has English language proficiency in Japan remained so low in comparison to other Asian countries? Has Vietnam attempted to improve English language teaching because ASEAN has adopted English as its working language? Why do English language teachers struggle with curriculum changes imposed by governments in order to make them competitive in the international community? Do professional development (PD) programs actually meet the needs of teachers?
This book addresses issues surrounding these questions by examining how the Japanese and Vietnamese governments have approached and defined the PD of English language teachers and how such PD programs have been delivered. It further analyses the impact of policy changes on individual teachers and explores how PD can help teachers to implement such changes effectively at the micro-level. PD of language teachers or language teacher education is relatively new as a field of inquiry in Applied Linguistics. By including case studies of Japan and Vietnam in the one volume, this book embarks on the challenging task of demonstrating that PD is an essential element of the successful implementation of language policies in Asia, where World Englishes have been shaped by distinct local contexts.
Table of Contents
1. The Professional Development of English Language Teachers in Asia: Lessons from Japan and Vietnam (Kayoko Hashimoto)
2. Professional Development as Part of English Education Initiatives in the ASEAN Community (Van-Trao Nguyen and Khoi Mai Ngoc)
Part I: Professional Development of English Language Teachers in Japan
3. Teaching Licence Renewal and the Professional Development of Japanese Primary School Teachers of English (Kayoko Hashimoto)
4. Curriculum Reform and Professional Development: The Problems Faced by Japanese Senior High School Teachers (Gregory Paul Glasgow)
5. Policy, Pedagogy and Transformation: A Professional Development Program for Japanese Teachers of English (Gregory Paul Glasgow and Chris Carl Hale)
6. Professional Development for Pre-service English Language teachers in the Age of Globalisation (Kiyoshi Naka)
Part II: Professional Development of English Language Teachers in Vietnam
7. Project 2020 and Professional Development for High School EFL Teachers in Vietnam (Van-Trao Nguyen)
8. Action Research for the Professional Development of English Language Teachers in Vietnam: Insights from a Training Project (Le Van Canh)
9. Vietnamese University Teachers’ Views on a Large-Scale Professional Development Course on Using Computer-Assisted Language Learning (Thi Hong Nhat Nguyen)
10. The Need to Establish and Sustain Language Learning Communities for EFL Teachers in Vietnam (Khoi Mai Ngoc)