Covering both the fundamentals and recent developments in this fast-changing field, Essentials of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, 7th Edition, is a must-have resource for radiology residents, nuclear medicine residents and fellows, nuclear medicine specialists, and nuclear medicine technicians. Known for its clear and easily understood writing style, superb illustrations, and self-assessment features, this updated classic is an ideal reference for all diagnostic imaging and therapeutic patient care related to nuclear medicine, as well as an excellent review tool for certification or MOC preparation.
- Provides comprehensive, clear explanations of everything from principles of human physiology, pathology, physics, radioactivity, radiopharmaceuticals, radiation safety, and legal requirements to hot topics such as new brain and neuroendocrine tumor agents and hybrid imaging, including PET/MR and PET/CT.
- Covers the imaging of every body system, as well as inflammation, infection and tumor imaging; pearls and pitfalls for every chapter; and pediatric doses and guidelines in compliance with the Image Gently and Image Wisely programs.
- Features a separate self-assessment section on differential diagnoses, imaging procedures and artifacts, and safety issues with unknown cases, questions, answers, and explanations.
- Includes new images and illustrations, for a total of 430 high-quality, multi-modality examples throughout the text.
- Reflects recent advances in the field, including updated nuclear medicine imaging and therapy guidelines • Updated dosimetry values and effective doses for all radiopharmaceuticals with new values from the 2015 International Commission on Radiological Protection • Updated information regarding advances in brain imaging, including amyloid, dopamine transporter and dementia imaging • Inclusion of Ga-68 DOTA PET/CT for neuroendocrine tumors • Expanded information on correlative and hybrid imaging with SPECT/CT • New myocardial agents • and more.
- Contains extensive appendices including updated comprehensive imaging protocols for routine and hybrid imaging, pregnancy and breastfeeding guidelines, pediatric dosages, non-radioactive pharmaceuticals used in interventional and cardiac stress imaging, and radioactivity conversion tables.
Table of Contents
Essentials of Nuclear Medicine Imaging, 7e
1. Radioactivity, Radionuclides, and Radiopharmaceuticals
2. Instrumentation and Quality Control
3. Central Nervous System
4. Thyroid, Parathyroid, and Salivary Glands
5. Cardiovascular System
6. Respiratory System
7. Gastrointestinal Tract
8. Skeletal System
9. Genitourinary System and Adrenal Glands
10. Non-PET Neoplasm Imaging and Radionuclide Therapy
11. Hybrid PET/CT Neoplasm Imaging
12. Inflammation and Infection Imaging
13. Authorized User and Radioisotope Safety Issues
Unknown Case Sets
Answers to Unknown Case Sets
Appendix A Characteristics of Radionuclides for Imaging and Therapy
Appendix B-1 Radioactivity Conversion Table for International System (SI) Units
Appendix B-2 Radioactivity Conversion Table for International System (SI) Units
Appendix C-1 Technetium-99m Decay and Generation Tables
Appendix C-2 Other Radionuclide Decay Tables
Appendix D Injection Techniques and Pediatric Dosages
Appendix E Sample Techniques for Nuclear Imaging
Appendix F Nonradioactive Pharmaceuticals in Nuclear Medicine
Appendix G Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Appendix H-1 General Considerations for Hospitalized Patients Receiving Radionuclide Therapy
Appendix H-2 Special Considerations and Requirements for Iodine-131 Therapy
Appendix I Emergency Procedures for Spills of Radioactive Materials and Special Circumstances