Handbook of Agricultural and Farm Machinery, Third Edition, is the essential reference for understanding the food industry, from farm machinery, to dairy processing, food storage facilities and the machinery that processes and packages foods. Effective and efficient food delivery systems are built around processes that maximize efforts while minimizing cost and time. This comprehensive reference is for engineers who design and build machinery and processing equipment, shipping containers, and packaging and storage equipment. It includes coverage of microwave vacuum applications in grain processing, cacao processing, fruit and vegetable processing, ohmic heating of meat, facility design, closures for glass containers, double seaming, and more.
The book's chapters include an excellent overview of food engineering, but also regulation and safety information, machinery design for the various stages of food production, from tillage, to processing and packaging. Each chapter includes the state-of-the art in technology for each subject and numerous illustrations, tables and references to guide the reader through key concepts.
- Describes the latest breakthroughs in food production machinery
- Features new chapters on engineering properties of food materials, UAS applications, and microwave processing of foods
- Provides efficient access to fundamental information and presents real-world applications
- Includes design of machinery and facilities as well as theoretical bases for determining and predicting behavior of foods as they are handled and processed
Table of Contents
1. The Food Engineer 2. Food Regulations 3. Engineering Properties of Food Materials 4. Food Safety Engineering 5. Farm Machinery Automation for Tillage, Planting, Cultivation and Harvesting 6. Air Seeders for Conservation Tillage Crop Production 7. UAS Applications 8. Grain Harvesting Machinery 9. Grain Storage Systems Design 10. Milking Machines and Milking Parlors 11. Dairy Product Processing Equipment 12. Grain Process Engineering 13. Technology of Processing of Horticultural Crops 14. Food Drying and Evaporation Processing Operations 15. Food Freezing Technology 16. Microwave Processing of Foods 17. Heat and Mass Transfer in Food Processing 18. Food Extruders 19. Food Extruders 20. Thermal Processing for Food Sterilization and Preservation 21. Artificial Neural Network (ANN) Based Process Modeling 22. Design of Food Process Controls Systems 23. Ohmic Pasteurization of Meat and Meat Products 24. Food Processing Facility Design 25. Sanitary Pump Selection and Use 26. Agricultural Waste Management in Food Processing 27. Food Packaging Machinery 28. Damage Reduction to Food Products During Transportation and Handling 29. Postharvest Traetments for Fresh Produce